Monday, March 14, 2011

Cinnamon Berry Quinoa

Ok So I came across this recipe and am making it tonight. It looks beyond delicious and seems to be something I can keep in the fridge and eat over a couple days. Quinoa has a plethera of health benefits and is a wonderful grain substitution. (Quinoa is actually a seed.) Looks good enough to eat through the computer screen so I am excited! I altered the recipe a little but the original is from Chef MD's big book of culinary medicine.
Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Skim Milk (Substitution: Coconut Milk)
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
  • 2 cups fresh Blackberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chopped Peans (I use slivered Almonds)
  • 4 teaspoons Pure Maple Syrup
Directions:
  1. Combine water, milk and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  2. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in blackberries and cinnamon; transfer to four bowls and top with almonds.
  4. Drizzle 1 teaspoon maple syrup over each serving. (I bet coconut milk drizzled over the top would take this dish to another level.)

No comments:

Post a Comment