Monday, March 14, 2011

Jana-Corn (Popcorn)

I grew up eating homemade popcorn on a weekly basis. My Mom would always try to find healthier substitutions for the 'ol butter and salt toppings. I thought of an easy and healthy way to make delicious popcorn when I was in college. For years my friends nicknamed it "Jana-Corn" and request it on a regular basis. Its great with movies, for girls nights, or as an easy comfort food when a friend is gloomy. (Add a small bag of M&Ms for a sweet 'n salty desert.) Enjoy!

(Makes one large bowl of popcorn)
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
  • 3/4 cup Popcorn (I like organic white kernels)
  • Sprinkle of Sea Salt
  • Olive Oil in a spray
Directions:
  1. Place a LARGE pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
  2. Pour the oil and popcorn kernels into the pot and cover with a lid.
  3. Swish the popcorn back and forth in the pot every minute or so. (This ensures every kernel is coated with the hot oil as it heats up.)
  4. The popcorn will start to pop in about 5 minutes. To ensure the popcorn doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan, I lift it off the stove and give it a shake every 30 seconds or so. This makes the unpopped kernels fall to the bottom and with any luck you will have every kernel popped to perfection!
  5. Take the pot off the stove once the pot is full and the popping slows down.
  6. Pour into a very large bowl and spray lightly with olive oil. Shake and rotate the popcorn, spraying about 4 times total. Sprinkle a little sea salt over the popcorn and enjoy while its hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment